This article is one in a series to assist in the setup, troubleshooting, and maintenance of Cisco Small Business products (formerly Linksys Business Series).
Refer to Cisco Technical Tips Conventions for more information on document conventions.
A. The latest firmware file(s) for the SPA9xx Series Phone can be downloaded from http://www.cisco.com/support. Firmware files are packaged in zip compressed format. Each file contains a windows binary ".exe", a raw firmware ".bin" file, a recovery tool ".exe" and the release notes ".txt".
There are two ways to upgrade the firmware:
Run the windows executable from a windows PC.
Load the firmware on the TFTP server.
Note: Before you complete this procedure, make sure that the upgrade enable is set to YES in the provisioning tab of SPA-962.
Complete these steps:
- Access the web based setup page of the SPA-962. Verify the IP address through the LCD. Click on the Menu button then press 9. It should show you the DHCP IP address. Open a browser and type that in the Address bar.
- Click on Admin Login and then advanced.
Note: The SPA962 does not have a username and password by default. If you are asked for a username and password, it means that the SPA962 is locked. You need to verify this with your VoIP provider.
- Go to the provisioning tab and under Firmware Upgrade section, set upgrade enable to YES and click submit all changes.
Complete these steps:
- Double-click the .exe file in order to run the windows executable file on your PC. Read the warning instruction first, then click on Continue if you want to continue the firmware upgrade.
- Provide the IP address of your SPA962 phone then choose OK. Do not power off the SPA962 during this process.
- A progress bar should appear that indicates the upgrade process. Click OK after it confirms that it loaded the firmware successfully.
You can also place the raw firmware image spa.bin on a reachable TFTP server. Go to your web browser, and type in: http://spa-ip-address/upgrade?tftp://tftp-server-ip/spa.bin
The SPA device can use http in place of the tftp method. Do not power off the SPA device during this procedure.
The Cisco Support Community is a forum for you to ask and answer questions, share suggestions, and collaborate with your peers.
Refer to Cisco Technical Tips Conventions for information on conventions used in this document.